J.C.'s Reviews > Rage

Rage by Richard Bachman

Feb 23, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: horror, thriller, banned, stephen-king
Read from February 23 to 24, 2011 — I own a copy

To continue with my Stephen King audiobook spree (I just finished Dolores Claiborne the other night), this one is quite unique. While listening to it I couldn't help but think about how controversial this book is-so much so that it is the only work that King himself had pulled off the shelves. I think that's what really attracted it to me, made me want to read it even more, after learning that it was his first real published novel.

Another thing I find interesting is that this novel and the other novel that would be his first under his own name, "Carrie" (duh), having some strange parallels. Both deal with high school teenagers and the kinds of pressures and nightmares they have. But one is more of a thriller while another is more supernatural.

But truly, that's as far as I will go when it comes to comparing the two. They truly are different "snowflakes", as King once said about the differences between every story (each one is a snowflake, he said: at first glance they all look the same but look closer and there's extreme complexities that make them each unique), and I don't want to say Carrie or Rage is better than the other.

(But just in case you're wondering, Carrie really is better).

(But don't let that ruin Rage and it's qualities).

ok. Enough of that parenthesis silliness. Rage is an interesting piece, it's completely filled with pop culture references, even more so than usual King works. Certainly I think it's because it's told through a teenager, and teenagers hold close to their favorite culture medias such as music and movies as if their life depended on it (or maybe their sanity, we all know how much of a nightmare teen years are). They talk about sex far too much in my opinion, sure teens are crazy about it (aren't we all?) but after a while I just started yawning and saying "oh you said vagina again....shouldn't someone be getting shot?"

Beyond those minor problems its an interesting piece of work. it's not his best, and you can tell that the author is still truly getting into the swing of things, but in that light it makes it even more special, kind of like old photographs that show where we used to be in comparison to where we are now.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rage.

02/23/2011 page 15