tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > Caesar Antichrist

Caesar Antichrist by Alfred Jarry

bookshelves: plays
Recommended for: all talking trees

This might've been the bk that converted me to total Jarry enthusiasm. It has the uncompromising severity of someone young enuf & audacious enuf to not give 2 shits whether ANYONE understands it at all. Jarry's famous characters Mere & Pere Ubu appear but not necessarily as the main characters. Take these 1st 3 scenes of Act IV as examples:

"ACT IV

SCENE I

In the blackness where the sky once was, Ubu, Pile and Cottice disappear in a meteor-like ascension.

CAESER ANTICHRIST:

(Lowering a bull into a pit with two ropes. The horns can still be seen.) Pinnacled head descend alive into the hole I've dug for you. Nature, love of nature, one-time minister to all my terrrestrial affairs, let the beast converse with the earth like a little pig hung by his haunches under a table. If I wanted to, I'd see it still, beyond its hermetic lid...

SCENE II

The stairway.

THE PRIESTS:

Et facti sumus tanquam immundus nos...et cecidimus quasi folium universi.

SCENE III

The Yew Trees as they grow along the pilgrimages in the form of the seven-branched candelabras of Jerusalem. To the right and left of them are two large olive trees - Enoch and Elijah. The road where Caeser Antichrist will pass appears as the only white horizontal path in the shadows. Sable, a fess argent oscillated with yew trees.

ELIJAH:

Hi sunt duae olivae et duo candelabra, in conspectu Domini terrae stantes.

THE YEW TREES:

Et si quis voluerit eis nocere, ignis exiet de ore corum, et devorabit inimicos eorum.

ENOCH:

Et is quis voluerit eos laedere, sic oportet eum occidi."

Right. Characters that ascend like meteors (in reverse), a bull being lowered into a pit, trees that quote the bible in Latin. You're not likely to see this play performed!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caesar Antichrist.

Finished Reading