Caitlin's Reviews > Written on My Heart

Written on My Heart by Morgan Callan Rogers

liked it
bookshelves: first-reads

I received a free copy of this book from Penguin First to Read in exchange for an honest review.

This is a small town book, with the sort of usual, small family problems--and one rather large mystery. Florine was raised in the Point, grew a little wild, but then settled down with Bud. They married and had two children while just out of their teens, and for a while, life seems good, even if that big mystery--the disappearance of Florine's mother, Carlie--haunts the family.

But both Bud and Florine have some growing to do, and then someone digs up the past, strewing around some old clues about Carlie's life before she disappeared. Florine will have to decide how much she wants to commit to her past--and to her uncertain future.

Very marriage-focused, this book explores the struggles of two young people finding their way in life, and trying to make something of themselves. Florine dropped out of high school, and Bud is a mechanic, but they both have dreams--dreams which don't always coexist peacefully. The bigger mystery takes second place to these daily struggles, little hints tossed out and dropped, until finally --and abruptly, off-screen--takes center stage. That results in the reveal feeling a little rushed, since Carlie's disappearance is a big part of Florine's past and character.

Sweet and hopeful, with a wellspring of faith surrounding Florine, even if she isn't religious herself, this is a story about second chances, family, and the weight of the truth.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Written on My Heart.

January 8, 2016 – Started Reading