Heather K (dentist in my spare time)'s Reviews > The Imperfection of Swans

The Imperfection of Swans by Brandon Witt

*3.5 stars*

Looong, angsty, and full of feels, you need to be a patient reader to enjoy this one.

First, some important details. This book has a couple of things that seems to be a problem for some readers. For one, these guys date and have sex with other people after they meet but before they are a couple, though there is some very slight overlap. I know those details alone are a deal-breaker for some readers so I thought I'd put it out there. Also, there is almost no sex on page. If that is important to you, step aside because you'll be getting no nookie in this one!

I first heard about this book a few months ago at the GRL book retreat in San Diego. Brandon Witt told readers then that he had written a book that was loosely based on the experiences and dreams of Kevin, a close friend of his, who always dreamed of opening a wedding dress shop and struggled with anxiety and an eating disorder. I went into this book knowing that it was based on a real person, and I kept that in mind the whole time that I was reading.

I think the strength of this book is depth of the characters. These characters are extremely multifaceted and have so much more to them then what is on the surface. His depiction of everyone was very nuanced, and Brandon Witt got me to feel a LOT of emotion during the story. Kevin, in particular, was really touching for me. I think most of us could understand body image issues and pressure to feel "good enough," so Kevin's character really struck a chord with me.

However, this book also was a bit of a struggle for me to get through. It is a very long book, and it feels very long. It was beautifully and consistently written, but it took AGES for anything to happen. These guys don't really get together until 66% of the way through the book, which is a long time to wait, IMO, especially with no sex on page. The pace is also just very slow, with much of the details spent on time cleaning up their store and picking out decorations for their business. It felt a little tedious for me, and I had to keep reminding myself to read on when my attention wavered.

I think Brandon Witt did a great job honoring his friend's very personal story (and, *eek!* he is a hottie- his friend is the cover model!), but it wasn't a re-read kind of story for me. I hope others give it a try because there are some really touching parts of the story.

**Copy provided in exchange for an honest review**

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Imperfection of Swans.

January 8, 2016 – Shelved
January 20, 2016 – Shelved as: full-of-angst
January 20, 2016 – Shelved as: contemporary
January 20, 2016 – Shelved as: addiction-or-mental-disorders
January 20, 2016 – Shelved as: read-to-review-arc

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Heather K (dentist in my spare time) Marlon wrote: "I'm reading this too at the moment and loving it. I really like Witt's writing. I fell in love with it during "Then the Stars Fall"."

He is really good. I loved "The the Stars Fall" too! I just thought this one was a little slow.