Amelia's Reviews > Dreams of the Heart Vol. I

Dreams of the Heart Vol. I by Joie Schmidt

Feb 23, 2011

Though poetry books are not a typical book to review, here on EZ Read, a change of pace may do us all some good. Isn’t poetry meant to feed the soul?

Poems of love, hope, and faith give a very positive theme to this whole book. However, it is not too sweet to give a toothache. Half way through the reading, there are poems of lamentation and loss, but I never felt the need to run for a razor at the sadness. On the whole, the feeling remains uplifting.

Hopeful is actually a good word to describe this book of prose – hopeful. Looking at the beauty of love and reaching for guidance from above is even better than it sounds. Yes, typically drama is the desired theme among both readers and television watchers, but no one really wants to remain depressed all of the time… right?

What’s interesting is that the poetry does not contain the typical theme of heartbreak and anguish that the art of poetry is usually used for. Yes, reading about the yearning of a lost love is sad, but the book, gratefully, did not have me drowning in the sad memories of my youth.
Teenagers (myself included) have made use of poetry as an outlet, as a means to express our yearnings and disappointments for as long as I can remember... since the emergence of Edgar Allen Poe! Schmidt, clearly did not get this memo.

And, it’s a good thing she didn’t. Who needs another saddening book of poems when an uplifting compilation of lines and versus can stand out as original among the typically Goth theme? With all of the darkness we usually read about, it’s nice to bring a little light into the daily images of woe and tragedy. A little hope goes a long way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreams of the Heart Vol. I.