tENTATIVELY, cONVENIENCE's Reviews > Routines: Plays

Routines by Lawrence Ferlinghetti

bookshelves: plays

As usual, it's strange looking at these bks that I read over 3 decades ago. Maybe I read this when I was 19, maybe in 1972. At the time, I reckon I considered Ferlinghetti to be one of the major beat poets. Now, when I think of beat poets I just think of Ginsberg. Ferlinghetti seems more regional - like a San Francisco poet - sortof beat, sortof not beat. I don't know how he's historified. Even categorizing this in "plays" (wch is where I have it shelved in my library) seems a little over-pigeonholing - I mean these are ROUTINES, not necessarily PLAYS. A subtle difference, perhaps. Bks read when I was a teenager get lumped together in my vague memories w/ a certain feeling, the feeling of discovering & searching & finding political opinions I cd identify w/ & writing styles that seemed to reach from one person (the writer) to me (the reader) in some sort of direct way. I think of Hermann Hesse, eg - someone who wrote about hero's journeys taken by young men - Ferlinghetti seems like a figure encountered on my (anti-)hero's journey. If I read this when I was 19, I wd've been a hitch-hiker/drifter at the time - exploring the US under conditions w/ no money & not always friendly. I still have a fondness for Ferlinghetti that's probably somehow tied up w/ his connection to my late youth, to my groping in the dark for like-mindedness, for anti-war ethics, for.. something. Regardless, I actually lost interest in him fairly quickly.. - as if the bks were too simple, not radical enuf, maybe too 'spiritual' - a term that acquired pompous & simple-minded associations for me. As if by reading the few bks of his that I did, I'd "been there, done that" & had no more to learn from him. & that's probably entirely too simple-minded of ME.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Routines.