Jay's Reviews > Have a Nice Doomsday: Why millions of Americans are looking forward to the end of the world

Have a Nice Doomsday by Nicholas Guyatt

2419499
Feb 23, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: historical-distant, historical-recent, my-lesbianism-let-me-show-you-it, non-fiction, philosophy-and-religion, zombie-savagery
Read from February 23 to 26, 2011

Throughout this book, I kept waiting for Nicholas Guyatt to come out and say that he thought the apocalyptic believers he was interviewing were a bunch of nutjobs. That's what I felt he kept building up to. He kept pointing out how wild some of their predictions/prophecies were, and how some of their predictions/prophecies failed. He also repeatedly pointed out how today's apocalyptic preacher's predecessors had been mocked in the past when their predictions didn't come true. But Guyatt didn't laugh at the preachers, and he didn't mock the writers. He just kept going on, occasionally swinging between a casual tone and a serious tone.

This continual see-sawing is what bothered me in the end. I don't know what Guyatt wanted to say in the end, and I would have liked a little more of a conclusive ending. Did Guyatt think the prophesiers were ridiculous or not?

Some of the book was interesting, though- the interviews, particularly. I also liked all the information on the Left Behind series, and I admittedly want to read the first book now. Though whether I actually will is another story altogether. Furthermore, I found some of the anti-American slanting in terms of rapture to be reminiscent of the Westboro Baptist Church's messages- God Hates America and all that. Not perhaps the best thing to be, ahem, left behind with.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Have a Nice Doomsday.

02/25/2011 page 157
47.0% "Ehh. Kind of dry."