Brynn's Reviews > Original Fast Foods

Original Fast Foods by James Daniel Simmons

Feb 22, 2011

Read in January, 2011

This is an excellent book! It has changed the course of my life forever. It has changed the way I think about food and nutrition and provided delicious recipes to help me implement the principles of the book.

This book doesn't say you should be a vegetarian--just that 10% of less of your calories each day should come from animal products (drawing on the results of scientific research, not just opinion). I NEVER thought I would be anything close to a vegetarian--many vegetarians I have known appear pale and sickly. Now I realize it's possible to be a vegetarian who eats really poorly (you could be a vegetarian and eat nothing but potato chips all day, every day). As a result of this book, I'm now an "almost vegetarian" or "flexitarian". I eat meat when I go out to eat or eat at someone else's house. And I cook it occasionally (an average of once every month or two probably, not counting eggs). And I feel great. I thought I would miss meat, and especially cheese, cow's milk, and butter, but I really don't.

One critique of the book is that the recipes leave out a lot of details. They will say something like "bake until tender" without giving a temperature or estimate on how long it will take (10 min??? 1 hour???). Also, some help on unfamiliar ingredients would be useful. I had never cooked with coconut milk and a lot of their recipes call for it. At first I was using the stuff in the milk section instead of the canned stuff in the Asian food section.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Original Fast Foods.