Tiffiane's Reviews > Minion

Minion by L.A. Banks

Feb 22, 2011

This book was fantastic. I wasn't sure what to expect because the beginning was somewhat strange for me, but I've always enjoyed books that start from a past experience/vision of what came before years ago, before you jump to present day.

Damali is a major ball-buster, rebellious, and totally kick-butt female. Just exactly what you'd expect of a Neteru, vampire huntress. She is so young, but so ready to come into her own powers and restore the balance of power between light and dark. I also love the fact that she is african american, as opposed to caucasian. Sort of reminds me of a female "Blade", very cool!

I really like Marlene, but although she is a great mother-seer, I feel she on is the brink of major breakdown. She has had a very hard cross to bear for the last 20 years, but that was mostly through her own huge mistake and errors in judgment. She seems to be doing the best she can for her group of Guardians and for Damali too, but I can't help but think that the big lesson mentioned in the stars alignment will involve her (and maybe even Shabazz) in a very big way.

Carlos, at first, seemed like a man on the brink of a very important decision. Whether to choose the dark path or the road of light. The fact that he is Damali's soul mate (or atleast this is what was hinted at by the dark lords) and that she feels so strongly about him, but that fate has intervened on numerous occasions to stop them from sleeping together - well, there's definitely a reason, and a very good one, to keep them apart. Then as the story continues, you really learn that he is already on the dark path, but was trying to be good while he had Damali's influence in his life. She almost had him convinced to give up his no-good ways, but money and power are seductive, too seductive for many. Once she gave up and left, there was no reason for him to attempt to be good, or keep up the pretense. So, without even really understanding what it is he was agreeing to, and because he had rage and vengeance in his heart over his inner circle's slaughter, he chose dark fully, and ended up dead, becoming one of the hybrid vampiri, and being propositioned in a very BIG way by the vampire high council.

Now that Damali's 21st birthday is coming in 3 days and marks the day of her full maturity as a Neteru...

Woah is all I can say, and book 2 should be FANTASTIC. I look forward to reading it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Minion.

February 22, 2011 – Started Reading