J'Nette's Reviews > Bel Canto

Bel Canto by Ann Patchett

Feb 22, 2011

liked it

A group of affluent and educated people attend a pomp and circumstance evening where they are wined and dined. The politically unrest country is trying to attract the wealthy in hopes of bringing business and jobs to the citizens. A terrorist extremist group takes the party hostage in hoping of getting the governments attention. Instead all people, terrorist, governments officials, business, and common folk alike get a great lesson in life as social, political, ethnic, and wealth lines become fuzzy.

I loved alot of things about this book. A little slow to get into (a reason I rated it lower), and frankly it stays slow but I love the character development. The book teaches you about the simple things and their importance, about love, about what truly makes people unique. And frankly it cant teach you about any of those things unless the story is told slowly and with depth. I loved its mix of political and social ideas. Gave me a deeper insight on first impressions and an understanding of humanity.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bel Canto.