Joanne's Reviews > All That I Am

All That I Am by Anna Funder

Jan 07, 2016

bookshelves: all-time-favourites

This is the first Anna Funder book I have read and I really enjoyed it. She draws on great imagination to weave fiction and facts together for an intense storyline.

I love the main characters. Dora is the feisty, strong and fearless feminist of the story. While she is not one of the narrators, we live a lot of the book through her actions and beliefs. Her cousin, Ruth, is one of the narrators. While she isn't as fearless as her cousin, I found I related a lot more to Ruth. Funder does really well to build relatable and real characters.

The story itself is largely set in the pre and present Nazi period but from a different perspective to a lot of stories of those eras. Ruth, Dora and their friends have managed to escape the horrors of the concentration camps and they speak out against the regime outside Germany. It was also interesting to think that more could have been done earlier if not for political conservatism.

This has become one of my all-time-favourites and I will definitely be looking up more of Anna Funder's work.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All That I Am.

December 25, 2015 – Started Reading