Naksed's Reviews > Burning Wild

Burning Wild by Christine Feehan

bookshelves: dnf, juvenile-writing, paranormal, tstl-heroine, wishy-washy-heroine

DNF at 75%. Burning Wild, by Christine Feehan, is a paranormal tale involving leopard shifters. While I liked the idea behind this story, and I really liked the character of the main protagonist, whose point of view is the most dominant in this tale, I can't abide by a plot that is propelled by one TSTL moment after another, and a very annoying, equally TSTL heroine.

If I ever made it this far, it was because of the main character, who we follow from a horrendous, abusive childhood, to an equally tortured adulthood. I wanted him to find a worthy mate, to triumph over his enemies, but most of all to be victorious against himself, against all that negative thinking and feelings of worthlessness that have formed that hard shell around him. The author managed to truly move me, despite all the obviously manipulative tropes invoked to cement an emotional connection to her anti-hero. Yes, I knew what the author was doing but I gladly fell for it because her characterization of Jake was compelling and sympathetic. I know a lot of people will disagree with this assessment but I had total sympathy for him. One of those, I don't agree with what he did, but I understand why he did it. I unfortunately did not find the wishy washy, uber judgy, annoying heroine to make a good pairing for him, not after all the uncertainty, pain, and despair he had to live with all his life.

The cheesy, harlequinny, lavender writing (wombs spasming, lower parts turning into hot liquid and perpetual hard-ons, oh my!) and the repetitiveness of many of the characters' inner thoughts and motivations did not help either. This is one of those cases where the idea behind the book is better than the execution of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burning Wild.

January 7, 2016 – Shelved
January 7, 2016 – Shelved as: maybe
January 26, 2016 –
26.0% "Hot liquid pooled and her womb spasmed.\n \n Her womb. Spasmed. \n \n Oh, good grief."
January 27, 2016 –
50.0% "He wasn’t gentle— he was hungry, feasting at her, claiming her, small, feral growls rumbling in his chest and throat.\n \n “Mine,” he snarled and drew her into the hot inferno of his mouth. \n \n “Mine,” he reiterated, his teeth biting down until she cried out and his tongue immediately laved and soothed. \n \n Now, that's more like it!"
January 27, 2016 –
68.0% "TSTL h alert! My DNF finger is twitching..."
January 27, 2016 – Shelved as: dnf
January 27, 2016 – Shelved as: juvenile-writing
January 27, 2016 – Shelved as: paranormal
January 27, 2016 – Shelved as: tstl-heroine
January 27, 2016 – Shelved as: wishy-washy-heroine

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Ally (new)

Ally wombs spasming, lower parts turning into hot liquid and perpetual hard-ons, oh my!
Haha! Love that line esp.

message 2: by Naksed (new) - added it

Naksed Ally wrote: " wombs spasming, lower parts turning into hot liquid and perpetual hard-ons, oh my!
Haha! Love that line esp."

IKR? LoL