Carrie's Reviews > Into the Dim

Into the Dim by Janet B.  Taylor

bookshelves: netgalley
Read 2 times. Last read July 10, 2017 to July 11, 2017.

Hope Walton's mother was believed to have been killed in an earthquake eight months ago. Her father has moved on with his life and met someone new but Hope still believes there's a chance her mother could be alive.

After the service for her mother Hope receives an invitation from her mother's sister to come for a visit while her father travels. Not wanting to be left with her grandmother that has never accepted Hope into her family since Hope was adopted, she battles her anxiety and boards a plane to meet her mother's family.

When Hope arrives at her mysterious aunt's home she is told that her aunt had to leave for a few days. Hope is full of questions, especially when it's let slip that her mother had been there right before her supposed death but no one is answering Hope's inquiries until she stumbles upon some strange artifacts and costumes beneath the manor.

Only after Hope's discovery do her newly acquired family let Hope in on their secrets. They are a group of time travelers and her mother has been trapped in twelfth century England, left by another group of time travelers who have been in somewhat of a feud with Hope's family.

After scanning a few reviews before picking this book up and reading it myself I was a little iffy going in as to what I would find. I have to say when finished though I'm glad I gave it a fair shot and read it all the way through because I really enjoyed the story once it got going. In the end I decided to rate this one 4.5 stars.

The beginning gets off to a bit of a rocky start which is what seems to be turning some readers away from the book. Hope almost seemed a lot younger than she is supposed to be to me but we learn that she's been home schooled by her mother her whole life and not allowed to have friends with anyone her own age and also has a slew of anxieties and phobias. She makes a few questionable comments in the beginning but there is actually logic behind them so I overlooked them myself and waited to form an opinion.

Hope at one point says boys prefer "girls like my cheerleader cousins. Size two. Blond. Busty. Brainless." Ok, if you were raised in a family that treated you as an outcast your whole life because you weren't like them then it's a bit understandable that you would be jaded towards that type. Again later she makes a comment about the "slutty girls" at a school, well that's after the boy she had just met denied knowing her unless she went to that school and they had "hooked up".

After the rocky start and finally getting into the time traveling I really enjoyed Hope as a character along with all the others in the book and the story line. Perhaps the beginning could have been a tad better but once the story takes off it's a completely enjoyable read with a lot of adventure and a great look into a historical era. Looking forward to see where this series heads in any future books.

I received an advance copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

For more reviews please visit https://carriesbookreviews.wordpress....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Into the Dim.

January 7, 2016 – Shelved
January 7, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 7, 2016 – Shelved as: netgalley
February 26, 2016 – Started Reading
February 27, 2016 – Finished Reading
July 10, 2017 – Started Reading
July 11, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Andrea Great review. Your first few paragraphs should be the book blurb... it would attract more readers. I'm picking up the book because of your review.

Carrie Thanks Andrea! I always try to do a little summary of my own just to give an idea of what a book is about which I started because sometimes I think the synopsis is way off or reveals too much or too little. I hope you enjoy the story when you get the chance to read it. :)