Cindy's Reviews > The Girl in the Steel Corset

The Girl in the Steel Corset by Kady Cross

Feb 22, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: netgalley, arc, 2011, reviewed, fantasy, young-adult, series, 2-mediocre
Read from June 21 to 23, 2011

This review may also be found on A Thousand Little Pages.

2.5/5

After reading a whole slew of horrible reviews of The Girl in the Steel Corset, I had mentally prepared myself for a train wreck. Well, I confess: the novel didn't turn out that badly for me. It wasn't exceptional, but it didn't enduce fits of hair-tearing frustration, mostly. Perhaps I've been desensitized by the unhealthy amount of mediocre YA I've been reading lately.

The characters here are pretty much your standard set of YA heroes, although Finley managed to annoy me quite a bit more than the average heroine. That girl, for the life of her, just doesn't seem to be able to make up her mind about anything. Oooh, Griffin is so handsome. But wait, Jack is hot, too. I'll just blame my attraction on the two warring parts of my personality! No. Just no. And guess what? In case one love triangle isn't enough, we've got two! Aren't you excited? Ugh, at least the two triangles don't overlap. Imagine what a mess that would make. A love hexagon?

The background of the novel comes across as completely random. There are beasties that have cool powers and are apparently harvested from the center of the earth and machines that do your chores or suddenly turn evil and just attack people. Add the Aether, a spiritual plane inhabited by the dead, to all that, and you've got an overload of fantastical elements that don't really coexist nicely with each other.

The Girl in the Steel Corset does not succeed in distinguishing itself from typical YA despite its steampunk flare and gorgeous cover. However, it is still a notch above a lot of YA out there simply because it presents the stereotype in a slightly altered package.

Book Source: ARC from Harlequin via NetGalley

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in the Steel Corset.

Aleeeeeza heyyyy. so, i wanted to kind of quote a couple of lines from this review into my own (which i shall post on my blog soonish). is that okay?

Aleeeeeza (and yes, obviously i will cite the source of the quote. that being you. :P)

Cindy Hehe, go ahead. I'm honored that you wanna quote me in the first place:).

Jess So, I'm just reading this, and I won't lie, I think I'm more interested in reading the journey to get those beasties from the centre of the earth than about whats-her-face. :P

Cindy (Late, late response. I apologize =.=)
But yes, I think a Journey to the Center of the Earth-esque story would have been more interesting... Pity the dress on the book cover is so gorgeous.