Sara's Reviews > When the Moon Was Ours

When the Moon Was Ours by Anna-Marie McLemore

Wow.

Wow.

I shouldn't have been stunned by the exquisiteness of this book. Anna-Marie McLemore's debut novel THE WEIGHT OF FEATHERS features many of the same strengths: elegant prose, sensory-heightening details, tensions between characters that drive the story, and a romance that feels classic yet fresh.

And now I've read WHEN THE MOON WAS OURS, and I came away feeling that not only was this book stronger than her first one, but that the world has blessed with a truly special writer.

Any real review I could write right now wouldn't do WHEN THE MOON WAS OURS justice. I could try highlighting each thing individually - the writing, the relationships, the magical realism elements, the characters - except that I would be writing an in-depth review I sadly don't have time to write.

So, let me describe it in a "big picture" manner: WHEN THE MOON WAS OURS is more ethereal, more magical, more breathtakingly written, and more gripping than McLemore's first book. It's also eye-opening and tender in its handling of LGBT themes, both with the romance and with Sam's struggle to come to terms with his body and the person he wants to become. And at its heart, this book isn't just about love and identity. It's also about family, fear, secrets, and the shattering liberation of telling one's truth.

I'm actually a bit sad I rented this from the library, because now I can't go back and re-read it whenever I want.

I guess that just means I'll have to buy it. :) And all of McLemore's books in the future, too.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When the Moon Was Ours.

January 7, 2016 – Shelved
January 7, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
March 14, 2017 – Shelved as: magical-realism
July 4, 2017 – Started Reading
July 5, 2017 –
page 70
25.64% "Goodness, I just want to lap up the language and magic in this book like they're strawberries and honey. <3"
July 6, 2017 –
page 119
43.59% "How dare those Bonner girls threaten Sam. And Miel, too. But Sam. They better not hurt him, or out his secret.

I'm all kinds of worried for both protagonists right now. *wrings her hands*"
July 9, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-favorites