Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink's Reviews > The Crown's Game

The Crown's Game by Evelyn Skye

bookshelves: fantasy, recommended-fantasy

I.... I barely know what to say right now... so here goes ~ a mess of words and emotions. Don't worry, this is spoiler free.

"Imagine, and it shall be. There are no limits."

First of all, the elephant in the room. The plot of this book is nearly IDENTICAL to the Night Circus. Maybe I should rant about that but you know what.. I didn't really care? I love both books so I didn't mind the nostalgia. There are parts I liked more about each of the books- but I just found myself savoring this book to pieces regardless. Plus, this one is going to be a trilogy - so I see the series spinning off drastically from where the Night Circus ended.

Okay, now that is out of the way...

HOLY WOW. I just need to point out all the reasons I loved this book.

The Magic

Magic Russia will never ever get old. Never. (BRB going to watch Anastasia now...) And not only is the magic system here lush, it is completely unique and imaginative.

The Writing + Pacing

This is is where I see the most complaints. But honestly, I just savored it. I'm glad it wasn't too fast paced. But yes, this is a slower book... so don't go into it expecting otherwise. The writing itself was every bit as beautiful as The Night Circus - the prose, descriptions.. everything!
“This was the sort of book one ought to read in pieces, to properly appreciate and savour each bit. And yet he wanted to devour it whole. Messily and all at once.”

I couldn't have said it better myself.

The Characters

I think I can safely say that each character will tug at your heartstrings (though Nikolai was my favorite for obvious reasons.. gentle, sly, and TOPHAT.) Just enjoy discovering each one... I'd rather not give any further hints.

The Plot

As it was in the The Night Circus, the game aspect of the plot was just heartbreaking. It was a bit more vicious in this book... more intense and emotional. Yes, there was a "bit" of insta-love, but it was not handled the way a YA book typically handles it. There was much more of a connection than just attraction even though some things seemed to escalate quickly. I had no complaints in that department. Overall, I was completely swept away in the entirety of this story.

THAT ENDING

Someone help me because I am a WRECK. No, I am not OK. Will I be? That rests in your hands, Evelyn Skye. Please save us all. I literally beg you. PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS GOOD IN THIS WORLD.

For real though I need some serious comfort food right now...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Crown's Game.

January 7, 2016 – Shelved
May 17, 2016 – Started Reading
May 18, 2016 –
10.0% "Omg this is very Night Circus!!! <333"
May 20, 2016 –
57.0% "Mmm gitters..."
May 21, 2016 –
72.0% "That moment when you realize the pages are running out but you need SO MANY THINGS TO HAPPEN before the book ends.."
May 22, 2016 –
98.0% "UM THIS HAD BETTER BE FIXED...."
May 22, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

message 1: by Aya (new)

Aya Hamza Happy you like it. :)
Many people told me it is bad and I was eager to read it. So, I'll give it a try! :)

Will you add a review for it soon?

message 2: by Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink (last edited May 23, 2016 05:07PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Aya wrote: "Happy you like it. :)

Will you add a review for it soon?"

Haha I just finished the review!! I am a MESS right now!! I get why other people didn't like it but I loved it.

message 3: by Luke (new) - added it

Luke Taylor I just got this in the mail!!! :D
And PS, how cool is the name Evelyn Skye??

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Luke wrote: "I just got this in the mail!!! :D
And PS, how cool is the name Evelyn Skye??"

Hope you love it!!

message 5: by Aya (new)

Aya Hamza Great review, Brittney!
I really want to read this book now! Thank you so much. :)

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Aya wrote: "Great review, Brittney!
I really want to read this book now! Thank you so much. :)"

I hope you enjoy! Not everyone seems to enjoy this one but I did :)

message 7: by Hailee (new)

Hailee (haibooklovers) I'M DYING I NEED TO READ IT. Especially since I freaking ADORE Night Circus. But you're terrifying me with the business about the ending. So maybe I'll continue with living in ignorance until the rest of the books come out haha

Liz (alaskanknitandlit) I'm glad you liked it! I haven't decided if I want to give it a chance, or not. I think you're the only one that I've seen so far, NOT beat this book to a pulp. Also, I absolutely LOVED The Night Circus. So, should I just do it?? I trust your judgement.

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Hailee wrote: "I'M DYING I NEED TO READ IT. Especially since I freaking ADORE Night Circus. But you're terrifying me with the business about the ending. So maybe I'll continue with living in ignorance until the r..."

Haha... I can't say anything without spoiling but you totally shouldn't wait!!! If you loved the Night Circus.. I feel like you will love this! Its so so so so similar but different at the same time. NOOO don't wait!! LOL!! I REALLY need someone to discuss the ending with!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Elizabeth wrote: "I'm glad you liked it! I haven't decided if I want to give it a chance, or not. I think you're the only one that I've seen so far, NOT beat this book to a pulp. Also, I absolutely LOVED The Night C..."

Hah yeah I've seen tons of negative feedback! I definitely don't understand the 1 star ratings... that I can't even comprehend.. but I can see why some people might feel "meh" about it because it is a slow book (but definitely not slower than the Night Circus..) so I think if you liked that, you will at least enjoy this even if you don't love it. Hope that helps haha

message 11: by Mariah (new) - added it

Mariah of the Night Court Just received this in the mail the other day and very excited to read it! Great review Brittney! ;)

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Mariah wrote: "Just received this in the mail the other day and very excited to read it! Great review Brittney! ;)"

I hope you enjoy!! Just don't go into it expecting a fast paced crazy ride.. its very slow building but very magical imo. Have fun!

message 13: by Minx (new)

Minx Really nice review Brittney! I loved, loved, loved night circus, so I will probably enjoy this book.

message 15: by Charmaine (new) - added it

Charmaine I've always been a bit funny about The Night Circus because I didn't feel like I'd be able to get into it for some reason, but this genuinely sounds really interesting to me. Might have to check it out and see for myself :) Really nice review!

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Charmaine wrote: "I've always been a bit funny about The Night Circus because I didn't feel like I'd be able to get into it for some reason, but this genuinely sounds really interesting to me. Might have to check it..."

Thanks!! Yeah I see it both ways but I just love any time piece with magic!! I think that those who didn't enjoy the Night Circus would like this one still!

Taryn Skinner YES! I just wrote the same thing, it seriously is like Night Circus.

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Taryn wrote: "YES! I just wrote the same thing, it seriously is like Night Circus."

It was! The plot was almost identical - but there are things I appreciated about both!

message 19: by Hajy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hajy OOOHHHH I'm so glad you enjoyed it!! one of the best books of 2017 for me so far!! ♥

Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink Hajy wrote: "OOOHHHH I'm so glad you enjoyed it!! one of the best books of 2017 for me so far!! ♥"

I adored it!! I'm DYING for the next one!