Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink's Reviews > Burning Glass

Burning Glass by Kathryn Purdie

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy

3 Stars. Just wasn't really for me.

I feel this was a let down. Maybe that is my fault- I bit too much into the description of the book and all the raving reviews. I mean- come on... the back of the book sounds freaking AMAZING.

"For fans of the Grisha trilogy"...nope. I don't think this was even a little bit similar to that.

I just had a very hard time connecting. I had to reread the first few chapters a few times just to make sense of what exactly was going on. I think that was the biggest problem- I couldn't get a grasp on our heroine. I TRIEEEDDDDDD. I understand that we aren't supposed to be able to translate her feelings between the feelings of others... but instead of that making me feel sympathy for her; I only felt disconnected.

So all that to say- I understand this will be a trilogy and that our dear heroine might grow on me... but that leads me to my next few complaint. The political intrigue was very lack luster for me. And for those expecting a romance payoff - don't get your hopes up too much. It just wasn't satisfying for me.

So why the 3 stars? Why not 2?

It wasn't all bad. The story was unique, and the setting was beautiful. There were some good moments in this. I think there is hope of the sequel. We'll see.

But head my words... do not go into this book expecting a character as intriguing or intense Darkling.

All that to say, I see why some like this book. I really do. This is purely my first impression on the book. Give it a go if you are interested!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burning Glass.

January 7, 2016 – Shelved
March 1, 2016 – Started Reading
March 4, 2016 –
page 400
78.13% "IDK how I feel about this. I think I'm a bit disappointed.. all the moments that could be sooo good seem to fall short."
March 5, 2016 – Finished Reading