WillowBe's Reviews > The Darkest Edge of Dawn

1842059
Feb 22, 2011

bookshelves: tcips
Read from February 22 to 25, 2011

So far, I am totally loving the harder and edgier tone of this second book in the series. I was honestly surprised by the romance between the two protag. I was hoping for it, but never thought I'd get it.

I'm very pleasantly surprised at Ms. Gay's ability to compose a really sexy but edgy love scene and follow it up not with more sex, but a renewal of the trust and comfort which fed the LI initial friendship. It is rare that the protag gets what she needs- someone to count on- seperate from a full-blown sexual commitment (now you are MINE!).

I was so enamored of the love scene set-up and how events unfolded (the clash of the characters' emotions) that I even forgive the almost egregious amount of magical and deus ex machina devices used to make these wondrous changes come about. But when things are moving so quickly, they wouldn't happen organically without a little help. And it's still better than many romances where the heroine meets some guy she never laid eyes on and whoop!- there it is! These two have an established relationship, based on respect and camaraderie and caring; they function as family for each other. So, I guess you need that little help so to overcome a feeling of acting incestuously!

40 pages to go- hope I won't be disappointed!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Darkest Edge of Dawn.

02/22/2011 page 214