Eivind's Reviews > Thinking in Systems: A Primer

Thinking in Systems by Donella H. Meadows

liked it
bookshelves: nonfiction, abandoned
Recommended to Eivind by: Vipassana
Recommended for: People interested in, but very new to systems thinking.

This book deserves a star more if the concepts and the ideas in it a completely new to you. For me, unfortunately, too much of this was too long-winded considering that it concluded with concepts that are extremely well-known to me.

The best part of this book is the first few chapters; where the basic concepts and vocabulary is explained. Stock. Flow. Balancing and Strengthening feedback-loops. After that it spends too many words for too simple concepts making it fairly boring in the latter parts, at least if you've got a decent grounding in related concepts already. I think this book would be better at half the length. I ended up skimming the last half of the book; there just wasn't enough that was new to me there to hold my interest, relative to how many words were spent.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thinking in Systems.

January 7, 2016 – Shelved
January 7, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
April 13, 2016 – Started Reading
May 1, 2016 – Shelved as: nonfiction
May 1, 2016 – Shelved as: abandoned
May 1, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by H (new) - added it

H Thanks for the review. Would you recommend a better book aimed at beginners?

Eivind H wrote: "Thanks for the review. Would you recommend a better book aimed at beginners?"

It depends a bit on what exactly you're trying to learn about. If you're trying to learn about systems of human thinking, then I think "Thinking, Fast and Slow" is probably the best book I've read for a beginner about that -- if you're looking for insights on some other kind of system then it depends on which exactly. (tell me which and I'll give a recommendation if I can think of anything!)

I don't think this is a bad book mind you -- I gave it 3 stars and said it'd deserve one star more if you're a beginner, so for the subject-matter it covers and assuming you're a beginner I think this book is OK, although a bit verbose compared to how much it actually covers.

C.Douglass It's in the title, it's "a Primer"

As an intro, it is very good