royaevereads's Reviews > Queen Bees and Wannabes: Helping Your Daughter Survive Cliques, Gossip, Boyfriends, and Other Realities of Adolescence

Queen Bees and Wannabes by Rosalind Wiseman

liked it

3.5

Although this is a parenting book, as a young women (actually to be honest I think any human would find the same) I could still take away some good lessons from this book. The general idea conveyed is that we need to educate young people and raise them in such a way that they become able to make the right decisions for themselves.

There were some fantastic thoughts in here about important issues such as beauty ideals, racism, the impact of the growth of technology, using "just joking" or "no offence but" as a way to insult someone whilst limiting their right to be upset about it, homophobia, gender roles and the expectation placed on boys/men that they should internalise their feelings. Many great points were made.

Things I didn't like was that sometimes it was a bit too conservative in its views for my liking and I wasn't a fan of the format, it felt too all over the place for me. But that's just down to what I like, I still highly recommend this book as it makes some wonderful observations about the world we all live in, not just Girl World.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Queen Bees and Wannabes.

January 7, 2016 – Shelved