Nicole's Reviews > The Bad Beginning

The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket

Feb 22, 2011

bookshelves: books-for-tweens-teens

** spoiler alert ** While the whole concept of the book is doom and gloom happening to 3 orphans, it's still fun how the writer develops everything. This was a fast read for me and I'm impressed with how well the movie stuck to the book and also translated some of the author's and illustrator's descriptions and images onto the big screen. It was interesting that while the movie covers the first 3 books, the beginning and ending of it are both in the first book. I really enjoyed how when the author used big words, he would say something like "which means in this instance..." and then go on to explain it in a little simpler terms for the younger readers as it related directly to the story (for example, "it seemed to the children that they were moving in an aberrant -- the word 'aberrant' here means 'very, very wrong, and causing much grief' -- direction."). There were a few parts that I thought made this scary for younger kids, so I would say 5th grade and up for this book. Really probably 4.5 stars. Great fast read and I'm looking forward (although that makes me sound macabre since Lemony Snicket is very explicit in stating that this is not a pleasant series where good things happen to good people) to reading the rest of the series and learning what does end up happening to the Baudelaire orphans.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bad Beginning.