Todd Miles's Reviews > We Were Soldiers Once... and Young: Ia Drang - The Battle that Changed the War in Vietnam

We Were Soldiers Once... and Young by Harold G. Moore

Feb 22, 2011

bookshelves: military
Read from February 22 to March 24, 2011

"We were soldiers once" is the first book I have read on the Vietnam War, and boy, am I glad that I read this. The book is exhausting. For almost 400 pages it covers one long battle (really two consecutive interconnected battles) with very little opportunity for the reader to catch his breath (unless you put it down, but it is a difficult book with which to do so). Expertly written by the commander on the field, "We were soldiers once" offers a strong defense of the Vietnam War soldier, with some apt criticism of how the war was executed from the soldiers perspective (without getting preachy). It also includes quotations and insights from the Vietnamese commanders that are adeptly woven into the narrative. General Moore clearly loved and respected his troops. This is a very good book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Were Soldiers Once... and Young.