C.G. Drews's Reviews > When Dimple Met Rishi

When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon

May 19, 2017

bookshelves: 4-star, contemporary, young-adult, read-2017

This is definitely one of the cutest books I've ever laid my eyeballs on. It's totally nerdy and full of adorkable socially awkward characters and so. much. delicious. food and features the absolute best romance. AHHHHHH. I've been looking forward to this book for ages, and I'm so glad it was everything I wanted. And I'm about as romantic as a dead slug, so the fact that I was squeeing???! You're going to want to read this, I 500% declare it true.

The best part?! Both Dimple and Rishi are HUGE nerds. Dimple is all into coding and computers and Rishi is (in denial though) a huge comic book artist. Like excuse me while that is the perfect pair?? And let's be real here: There were thoroughly perfect at all times. And when they met and and Rishi though she knew about their parents arranged marriage so jokingly says "Hello future wife" and she throws her coffee at him and runs away? #shipping

I also really liked how it was a positive story about arranged marriage! I know it's a huge cultural thing but honestly the few times I've read about it, it's always been a super dark negative. And this wasn't like their parents were all "GET MARRIED OR DIE". Their parents were Super nice and chill about it. (Ok...Dimple's mum was the opposite of chill.) But the parents really were lovely and wanted the best for their kids. And that's so healthy and lovely to read??? And just the way Dimple and Rishi's friendship grew after they both decided "NAY SIR" to the arranged marriage...so much irony. So much cute. I ship it so hard, I cannot even.

And I really loved their voices! The story is in 3rd person which is my favourite and also ridiculously rare for contemporaries. I feel like I connected to the story SO much more with it being in 3rd. I loved how we got both Dimple and Rishi's perspective. Becuase jfkdlsa dI love them both so much.

Rishi is the most pure cinnamon roll to ever exist. And Dimple is all sharpness and intelligence and basically the best.

I do have a very very smol list of dislikes though. Because I'm fussy. I know. [dramatic sob in the corner]
• I though Rishi's brother Ashish's storyline was completely thrown in and random. It really detracted from Rishi/Dimple.
• Some of Dimple's choices at the end were really frustrating. But, like...being a teen isn't about being super mature all the time. I KNOW THAT. She was unfair, but she was human, so while reader-me is crying a bit, human-me is understanding.
• Also it was a teeny bit predictable.

But like those are tiny things?!? I honestly thoroughly enjoyed it and it was full of squishy happy feels and so nerdy and geeky and all the things I want to read about! The writing was fabulous and I really cared about the characters. Also all the praise for adorable sweet nerdy boys like Rishi who are too precious for this world. And 10/10 for all the food appreciation. I realise it's late at night but I'm starving, thanks for nothing, to this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Dimple Met Rishi.

January 6, 2016 – Shelved
January 6, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
May 14, 2017 – Started Reading
May 14, 2017 –
11.0% "They meet.
She throws iced coffee at him and runs away.
This is adorable."
May 18, 2017 –
50.0% ""Ow. You know, most girls just slap guys playfully on the arm or something. They don't actually hurt them."
"Well, maybe you need to expand your idea of how girls behave."

#SHIP
May 19, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
May 19, 2017 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Katie (new) - added it

Katie  Hanna #wanttoread

Becky Gust I really love your reviews!!! They are so . . . conversational!

C.G. Drews @Jessica: YES YOU DO.

@Becky: omg that is the nicest compliment of ever. That's exactly what I want them to be like! THANK YOU.

Samantha (WLABB) One of my top 2017 reads.

C.G. Drews @Sam: Yay!! I'm so glad you enjoyed it too!

Kirsty Jeez I loved this book so much. Rishi is such a babe, I loved him😍

Taasia (libraepaintspages) so excited omg

Hailey Hudson just put this on hold at my library!! whoop

COMPLETELY_BOOKISH How explicit is the sexual content in this book if there is any? What age do you think it would be appropriate for?