Kayla Ndife's Reviews > Johannes Cabal the Necromancer

Johannes Cabal the Necromancer by Jonathan L. Howard

bookshelves: favorites, fantasy

Johannes Cabal the Necromancer very much surpasses my expectations for it. I was prepared for some element of tragedy, I was prepared for the way he presented Satan, I was prepared to probably be creeped out by the carnival that is key to the entire plot.

What I was not prepared for: the clever, dry, dark humor; the inexplicable wit that was present in the writing; the way in which I cared for Johannes and Horst and the skill with which Howard so easily manipulated my feelings about the former of the two (for an example, read the scene with the ghost at the train station - my opinion of Johannes 360'd).

Definitely one of the best books I've read for some time. The ending, I though, fell a little flat - after such rich narrative for the previous 300 pages, the last two or three just seem a little dry, a little forced. While I'll definitely put the next book on my 'to-read' list, I really wish I could have seen more of what was going on in Johannes head, some more brilliance, in those last couple of pages.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Johannes Cabal the Necromancer.

February 22, 2011 – Started Reading
February 22, 2011 – Shelved
February 24, 2011 –
page 115
39.52% "Absolutely in love with this book."
February 24, 2011 –