Jenn's Reviews > Just Another Hero

Just Another Hero by Sharon M. Draper

Feb 22, 2011

liked it
Read in February, 2011

This book became a read for me as a student worker is reading it for her book report & is struggling to get through it. I believe she is a struggling / reluctant reader so any book becomes a challenge for her. She is quickly becoming frustrated so I thought I would join her in reading -- hopefully providing someone to discuss the book with, examine characters & motivate her.

I must admit I've not read the first two books in the series but it reads well without having read the first two as Draper explains the characters & previous plots while moving forward with the new book. The chapters alternate between various characters while moving the story forward; this provides great alternative points of views on characters & setting and giving greater insight into multiple characters.

The book became a bit trite for me; I felt that there were moments & aspects of characters that were the 'traditional conception' and not a new or deeper perspective. This doesn't mean I didn't like the book as I did. Its coverage of a "typical high school" gives readers something to think about -- and that's always a good thing.

This book is great for middle schoolers & high schoolers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Just Another Hero.