Megan's Reviews > Hold Me Closer, Necromancer

Hold Me Closer, Necromancer by Lish McBride

Feb 22, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: ya-summer-challange-2011, not-mine-library, young-adult, urban-fantasy
Read from July 27 to 30, 2011

Every single one of my GR friends gave this book four or five stars, and even on the general review page it is hard to find less than a four star review for this one. So why do I feel generous giving it three stars? Can't say. Really. Hold Me Closer, Necromancer is a clever and original YA book.... but somehow young necromancer Sam, his friends and the people he encounters didn't come across as very genuine. This book contains a lot of crazy situations, but throughout the good people are good while the bad people are bad. Lish McBride doesn't feature especially complex characters or much inner turmoil. This is a funny, slightly snarky, quick read. But a little too funny and slightly snarky for my taste.

At this point I feel compelled to plead, "It's not you, it's me!" ;) I'm glad to have finally read this, but it was just "meh" for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hold Me Closer, Necromancer.