Brie's Reviews > Why Not Me?

Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling

7301921

bookshelves: own, non-fiction, humour, read-in-2016

An easy, enjoyable read, but also a book that has a great message (or several great messages). Mindy is funny, witty, sarcastic, honest, self-deprecating, and like I mentioned in my review of her first book, someone I would love to best friends with in real life (which she even mentions is a common reaction she gets from complete strangers/fans).

I love her views on body image, food, working hard, female relationships, dating, and confidence. I laughed a lot, nodded in agreement constantly, and genuinely feel like I know the "real" Mindy just a little bit more now that I've read her second book.

She has so many noteworthy quotes in her book, and for my benefit, I'm just going to list them all right here!

-“Work hard, know your shit, show your shit, and then feel entitled. Listen to no one except the two smartest and kindest adults you know, and that doesn't always mean your parents. If you do that, you will be fine.”

-“I will leave you with one last piece of advice, which is: If you’ve got it, flaunt it. And if you don’t got it? Flaunt it. ’Cause what are we even doing here if we’re not flaunting it?”

-"They gave you that trophy so you wouldn't feel bad, not because you deserved it. You should know the difference." (Mindy's Mom).

-“If someone really wants to see you, they always find a way. Always.”

-“I want to say one last thing, and it’s important. Though I am a generally happy person who feels comfortable in my skin, I do beat myself up because I am influenced by a societal pressure to be thin. All the time. I feel it the same way anybody who picks up a magazine and sees Keira Knightley’s elegantly bony shoulder blades poking out of a backless dress does. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen my shoulder blades once. Honestly, I’m dubious that any part of my body could be so sharp and firm as to be described as a “blade.” I feel it when I wake up in the morning and try on every single pair of my jeans and everything looks bad and I just want to go back to sleep. But my secret is: even though I wish I could be thin, and that I could have the ease of lifestyle that I associate with being thin, I don’t wish for it with all of my heart. Because my heart is reserved for way more important things.”

-“And as everyone knows, the best kind of laughter is laughter born of a shared memory.”

-“I can’t for the life of me not eat something that I want to eat. You know how if you turned on a faucet in your sink to wash your hands, the idea of leaving the bathroom without turning it off is insane? That’s how I am about ignoring delicious food.”

-“There are not many relationships more powerful than that of two women who fall fast and deep into a friendship. It was heartbreaking to be loved and left.”

-“Throwing a tantrum feels good because you think you are ruining everyone's good time when you feel your very worst. But the truth is, you're not ruining their good time, you're just giving them another good story.”

-“sometimes you like the idea of someone so much, you just want to do whatever it takes to make it work.”

-“I'm a role model now. ... I want to be a better person because I don't want to disappoint those girls. I stop and think about my actions more. I tip great, I try not to swear too much, and I remember to thank people and be grateful. And all that stuff I do to "appear' better has actually made me a better person. I wish I had always acted like I was a little bit famous.”
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why Not Me?.

Quotes Brie Liked

tags: food

Mindy Kaling
“the best kind of laughter is laughter born of a shared memory.”

Mindy Kaling
“if someone really wants to see you, they always find a way. Always.”

January 6, 2016 – Shelved
March 19, 2016 –
page 84
March 22, 2016 –
page 133
58.33% "Loved the chapter "Soup Snakes" about her and BJ Novak's friendship."
March 31, 2016 – Shelved as: non-fiction