Fox's Reviews > The Name of the Star

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

I was on the fence a little when I started this, and for a while into it. But I persisted, and it paid off with a really enjoyable story. Certain twists I predicted very early and easily, though, and that always counts against a book in my world. In this case, it wasn't enough that I didn't still like the book, and I may even read it again at some point because the world-building concept this series is based on was kind of fun and interesting (and I won't say more because potential spoilers).

The Jack The Ripper aspect was really interesting, and I think exploring that event in history with this new setting was the biggest thing that kept me hooked. Sorry, Rory: I liked you okay, but you just weren't enough to carry this on your own for me. The narrative, combined with the predicable plot twists, would have made this entire thing feel a little too "young" to really hold me, otherwise. I'll be reading the next book, and we'll see how I like where that one goes...
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Star.

January 5, 2016 – Shelved
January 5, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
March 26, 2016 – Started Reading
March 26, 2016 –
35.0% "After the first few chapters, which were good, it's jumped to the realm of So Hard To Put Down..."
March 26, 2016 –
43.0% "Omg I have so many theories....!!!"
March 27, 2016 – Finished Reading