Danielle's Reviews > The Dead Beat: Lost Souls, Lucky Stiffs, and the Perverse Pleasures of Obituaries

The Dead Beat by Marilyn Johnson

F 50x66
Feb 21, 2011

Read from February 21 to March 03, 2011

I read another book by this same author called This Book is Overdue, which is all about her love of libraries. She actually decided to write that book based on the great experience she had with libraries while researching this book. I enjoyed This Book is Overdue so I did want to read The Dead Beat as well, but pushed it to the top of my list once I found out she was going to the keynote speaker at the Maryland Library Association Conference banquet. I rarely read obits unless they are for someone I know or for someone famous and not even then, so I'm not that familiar with them. However, this book almost made me want to start reading obits on a regular basis, particularly those from British newspapers. The book is pretty much precisely what you would expect, a long look into the world of writing obituaries and the people who read them. I found it quite an enjoyable book and actually learned a lot of things about obituaries that I didn't know. Now whenever do come across one I think back to this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dead Beat.