Kimberly's Reviews > Berried Secrets

Berried Secrets by Peg Cochran

bookshelves: cozy-mystery, read-2016

Monica Albertson has left the big city and moved to the quaint town of Cranberry Cove. There, her half brother, Jeff, owns and operates Sassamanash Farms. Jeff has recently returned from deployment with a paralyzed arm and could use some extra assistance running the cranberry farm. Monica bakes all of the goodies for the on sight store, oversees the paperwork and conjures up new business ventures. She also unfortunately discovers a dead body while harvesting one of their cranberry bogs. In her attempt to clear the farm's reputation and remove her brother from the suspect list, she must start searching around for clues and suspects. She quickly discovers that no one in town liked the victim and this might be one tough mystery to solve.

This was a great introduction to a new series. I really enjoyed the setting. The little tidbits about cranberry farming were interesting for this Southerner to read about. I loved Cranberry Cove and its inhabitants. The townsfolk were charming, gossipy and just plain likeable. The lead character, Monica, was pretty good as well, but my favorite character so far was Detective Stevens. It's not too often that you find a strong, pregnant, female detective in a cozy! I also like Gina, Monica's stepmother. She is the exact opposite of Monica, but will make a great comic relief and sidekick to the series. Jeff's look on life regarding his injury annoyed me at times and I was upset that he disappeared at one point in the storyline. I also got a bit annoyed reading Sassamanash Farms over and over again. At one point, it was in nearly every paragraph on one page. The mystery was well written and paced. I did figure out very early on who the culprit was going to be so was not surprised when it was finally revealed, but the story still continued to hold my interest until the end. Monica's baked goods sure sounded pretty tempting too! I look forward to catching book two once it it released.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Berried Secrets.

January 5, 2016 – Shelved