J.C.'s Reviews > Dolores Claiborne

Dolores Claiborne by Stephen King

Feb 21, 2011

bookshelves: horror, literature, movie, stephen-king

I know that many Constant Readers consider this one of King's "eh" works. You know, one of the ones that is easily overlooked, and when someone points at it at a store and says to a fellow King fan, "which one's this about again?", the one who's read it or at least knows a cent about it will roll their eyes and go, "oh, its about this lady blah blah blah a well blah blah blah."

But....to tell you the truth, it isn't bad. Not at all.

certainly it's no masterpiece, but it's definitely not a weak piece of work. In fact Dolores's character is one of the strongest he's ever put together. Usually when anything he writes is first person you're in for a treat, and this is no exception. Though its slightly different, as it isn't truly first person as she's telling the story not to you or in writing but to other characters. This I assume would create some level of confusion when reading it on paper. However, I was lucky in having the audiobook, which saved me from such confusion. The reader, Francene Sternhagen (Who also stars in the King film "The Mist", FYI), does a fantastic job expressing Dolores' personality. She gets the vernacular down perfectly and doesn't sound like she's just reading from the book but actually playing the part of Dolores.

The themes usual to King are all here, particularly of his 80's stuff: Alcoholism, domestic violence, and evil babies. The pop culture references are always a hoot in my opinion, and always remind me that what i'm reading (or in this case listening to) is a work of the King.

I recommend this to any Constant Reader or anyone who's studying literature or the craft of writing and wants to learn new ways of doing narration. I think that King wanted to go in a slightly different direction with this book, and in that I think he accomplished. It shouldn't be overlooked but I understand that it isn't for everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dolores Claiborne.

February 21, 2011 – Started Reading