Shira Glassman's Reviews > The Red Files

The Red Files by Lee  Winter

Jan 05, 2016

bookshelves: femslash

We often, in the LGBT lit world, talk about the need for representation in stories of the same type straight people get -- fighting aliens or corruption or natural disasters instead of just bigotry. This is one of those stories that answers that call.

You know those lighthearted but nailbiting political action-suspense movies, the kind with a romantic comedy subplot -- every year gives us several of them, usually starring A Man And A Woman uncovering Vast Conspiracies between the Government and Industry, complete with car chases, being shot at, and chemistry developing through shared danger? This is a lesbian version of that movie. The romance is complete, with a f/f HEA (despite the difficult bits), but for me what made this book fun was the adventure itself. It was the main focus, so if you're looking to read a f/f book that's plotty and action-packed with lots going on besides the romance, this is your book.

Basically, it's a really well-structured mystery being unraveled by rival journalists who can't stand each other -- at first. I'm a sucker for a well-structured mystery, and the ladies were in just enough danger for the story to be exciting without shaking me too far out of my admittedly wimpy comfort zone. As someone who reads a lot of mysteries, I'm pleased to say that the ultimate plot/endgame at the center of the conspiracy did surprise me completely! It was also an endgame/goal that was as satisfying as the buildup to its discovery, which isn't always true in these conspiracy stories.

Another interesting thing about the book is that both ladies have been fighting sexism in their careers -- both want to write about politics, rather than their entertainment assignment, but nobody wants to give Lauren a chance (her male boss gives a story she uncovered to one of her male colleagues!) and Catherine's political journalism career (view spoiler). The author's bio says she's a journalist so it's likely she's writing from authenticity here, which adds value to this important topic.

Note that I share Mehek's concerns about the language used to refer to sex work and sex workers and I'm glad she posted about it so I don't have to try to find the words to articulate what I was feeling.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Red Files.

Finished Reading
January 5, 2016 – Shelved
January 5, 2016 – Shelved as: femslash

Shira Glassman Do you know how to do the "click here for spoiler" thing? Because I can't seem to find that option... if you don't know, I'll ask around until someone can walk me through it.

message 2: by Lee (last edited Jan 07, 2016 04:08PM) (new)

Lee Winter I'm really sorry that I don't! I think Goodreads has some sort of special tech dark arts aimed at bamboozling the unsuspecting. :)

Shira Glassman I'll go ask around on Twitter but it might be tomorrow morning because I'm taking care of a chronically ill spouse

Sorry about the delay/the mistake!

message 4: by Lee (new)

Lee Winter I understand. Thanks so much for agreeing to do this. I appreciate it. :) Hope all goes well with the spouse.

message 5: by Lee (new)

Lee Winter ooh just saw this:

Type the following:
(view spoiler)

Shira Glassman I didn't see your responses for some reason but Spouseling went to sleep so I asked on Twitter and someone helped me out. And then I saw your responses after I edited! Yay, technology. (And goats.)

Shira Glassman off-topic but the issue is extremely powerful and intense migraines that are basically unstoppable and we can't figure out how to make it stop happening in the first place. I'm going to google and see if there's a Migraine Institute or something because local docs are just not cutting the mustard

Shira Glassman We will try anything but it would be awfully nice if they didn't happen in the first place. The human body isn't supposed to serve up total lack of function once or twice a month.

Thanks for the suggestion!