Littlevision's Reviews > Hello Cruel World: 101 Alternatives to Suicide for Teens, Freaks, and Other Outlaws

Hello Cruel World by Kate Bornstein

Feb 21, 2011

Recommended to Littlevision by: adults, teens, outlaws of any kind

It takes a lot for me to give a book five stars, but this book is one I can't give any less to. Why?

I think it has the potential to change lives. Kate Bornstein is plain cool and her 101 alternatives to killing yourself are totally awesome. I feel inspired by her book, something that I haven't felt in a long time. And her book has given me just what I need to keep on living -- at least for now. And if I reach that point again, I'll read this book again. And I'll keep reading it and recommending it.

P.S. I loved the multiple references to The Teenage Liberation Handbook. I really dig Grace Llewelyn.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hello Cruel World.

Quotes Littlevision Liked

Kate Bornstein
“I have this idea that every time we discover that the names we're being called are somehow keeping us less than free, we need to come up with new names for ourselves, and that the names we give ourselves must no longer reflect a fear of being labeled outsiders, must no longer bind us to a system that would rather see us dead.”
Kate Bornstein, Hello Cruel World: 101 Alternatives to Suicide for Teens, Freaks, and Other Outlaws

February 21, 2011 – Shelved
April 30, 2011 – Started Reading
May 2, 2011 –
page 33
May 11, 2011 –
page 46
page 74
32.03% "I'm kinda sorta in love with Kate Bornstein."
page 107
46.32% "Tomorrow I'll start the descriptions of the 101 alternatives."
page 152