Rex's Reviews > How to Write a Sentence: And How to Read One

How to Write a Sentence by Stanley Fish

Feb 21, 2011

Recommended for: Any writer/editor/reader

I can't believe how much I enjoyed How to Write a Sentence: And How to Read One. Fish is fantastic, and takes us on a tour of some of history's greatest authors and the sentences they write. You'll not only learn to appreciate the art of a great sentence, but also how to write one yourself. You'll also want to read some of the books Fish references -- I already downloaded a free copy of The Good Soldier for my Kindle.

Two examples to whet your appetite: the "no excessive complication" style of Hemingway ("In the bed of the river there were pebbles and boulders, dry and white in the sun, and the water was clear and swiftly moving and blue in the channels") and Ford Madox Ford ("Anyhow, there you have the picture, the immensely tall trees, elms most of them, towering and feathering away up into the black mistiness that trees seem to gather about them at night, the silhouettes of those two upon the seat, the beams of light coming from the casino, the woman all in black peeping with fear behind the tree trunk").

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Write a Sentence.