Andy's Reviews > Spark Joy: An Illustrated Master Class on the Art of Organizing and Tidying Up

Spark Joy by Marie Kondō

This is a fine follow-up to The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up. I listened to the audio version, and found the accompanying PDF helpful enough that I didn't need the printed text.
Don't let Kondo's animism put you off; even if you're uncomfortable with thanking your possessions for their service before discarding them, there is much to be learned from this book. For Kondo, tidying is really a means to the end of mastering the space in which you live, and making it a place that nourishes rather than oppresses.
There is significantly more detail here, including great ideas for dealing with the miscellany (komono) that can be so hard to control. I have used the method on my clothes, and have had success in keeping it tidy. Implementing it throughout the house is a much bigger undertaking, but I am already envisioning the result!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Spark Joy.

January 5, 2016 – Started Reading
page 132
page 141
page 257
January 6, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Brenda (new)

Brenda Would you recommend reading her other book first?

Andy Not necessarily. If you would enjoy the stories, the history of her journey to becoming a decluttering guru, and need convincing to get started, you can read the first book, but I think everything you need is in the current book.

Kachin Chong her animism maybe​ a little uncomfortable for westerners, but always be open-minded

message 4: by Em (new) - rated it 3 stars

Em Chamberness great review! I shared similar thoughts.

Chandra Frederick I felt similarly. I actually found the second book more mature than the first. She came off a little condescending in the first book...but in Spark Joy I saw an evolution. By the end of the book she is even acknowledging that it’s more about why you tidy not how you tidy. I enjoyed it.