Abhi Yerra's Reviews > Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products

Hooked by Nir   Eyal

I feel like this book took me into a mind trip in terms of understanding how companies sell us stuff by getting us addicted to certain actions triggers in our hunter gatherer brains. Eyal describes there are 3 kind of validations that we have: to the tribe, to the hunt and to the selves. The first is social validation for example things like "Likes" on Facebook, the second is our want to hunt for bargains (the word hunt literally takes on a new meaning there...) and our want to validate ourselves.

As such Eyal lays out a cycle of why certain things take off but others don't. We want infinite variability as it causes things to stay fresh and want us to come back where as finite variability won't. For example, World of Warcraft is still a thing, FarmVille isn't.

I highly recommend this book not only for product developers but also just people who need to see how products are designed to hit these addictive nerves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hooked.

Quotes Abhi Liked

Nir   Eyal
“Unlike its competitors who sell preassembled merchandise, IKEA puts its customers to work. It turns out there’s a hidden benefit to making users invest physical effort in assembling the product—by asking customers to assemble their own furniture, Ariely believes they adopt an irrational love of the furniture they built, just like the test subjects did in the origami experiments.”
Nir Eyal, Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products

Nir   Eyal
“Art is often fleeting; products that form habits around entertainment tend to fade quickly from users’ lives.”
Nir Eyal, Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products