Bianca Mori's Reviews > Savor

Savor by Kate Evangelista

Jan 04, 2016

On the surface, this wouldn't be my typical pick for a romance read. It's an outlandish and surreal tale with Gothic touches and colorful characters -- an eyepatch-wearing photographer, a super rich, vaguely Slavic indie band where all the members went to a boarding school (!) in the Caucasus Mountains (!!) and are now the most famous rock group in the world (!!!) oh and live in a giant manor (!!!!) in their own island (!!!!!).

But when I suspended my disbelief and surrendered to Kate Evangelista's storytelling, well -- I gobbled this novel up like cookies on my birthday. Om nom nom nom. Two days and no sleep. Like the Lewis Carroll quote serving as the epigraph, reading this felt like falling down the rabbit hole. It was just utterly addicting and I had to know more. My latent love for gothic manors, nurtured by an early fondness for VC Andrews, returned full force at the setting of Lunar Manor, which Evangelista describes in loving detail, so much so that I could almost see it.

I came to cheer for Dakota Collins, the one-eyed photographer whisked off to wonderland to find herself in this strange bubble. Against my better judgment (because really, a brooding Norse God control freak bassist with tantrum-throwing tendencies is just trouble), I became curious to solve the mystery that is Luka Visraya. I was charmed by Dray, the mad scientist drummer, Yana, the pint-size Gothic Lolita boss, Demitri and Phoenix and yeah, even the staff - surly Calixta, Deidra the maid and Eli the driver. The characters I first found unrealistic just came alive and I kept on turning the pages, just dying to know what was going to happen next.

Savor may not be my typical read, but it got me lost in the story. And now (cliffhanger! shakes fist!) I have to read what happens next!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Savor.

January 4, 2016 – Started Reading