Elvia's Reviews > Love in the Time of Cholera

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel García Márquez

Feb 08, 2008

Recommended to Elvia by: i just always wanted to read it b/c of the title
Recommended for: not sure
Read in December, 2007

This epic undertaking was beautifully weird and awkward, and I like weird. You don't HAVE to like the protagonist of a novel, I know, and I didn't like Florentino one small bit by the end. I think many people just really don't get the point of this book, although I'm still thinking about it myself, but I hope I don't get the wrong one, which, in my opinion, is that this is one of the greatest love stories of all time. Not that it's not a love story, I just don't think it is in the way people seem to regard it. Florentino was that syrupy sweet and ridiculously dramatic, but by the end he thoroughly annoyed me. Part of the reason is because the narrative is so overbearingly misogynistic. Don't get me wrong; I'm not complaining. Many scenes in this novel are artfully, ingeniously constructed, and, superbly hilarious in such an underhanded, wry way.... The ending is weird, subdued, I would say maybe anticlimactic, but great, and I take great comfort in its timelessness...I like to think the characters are still just where he left them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love in the Time of Cholera.