Kimberly Kincaid's Reviews > How to Bake a Perfect Life

How to Bake a Perfect Life by Barbara O'Neal

Feb 21, 2011

Read from March 10 to 17, 2011

I really, really enjoyed this! O'Neal's description is just stunning, and I felt like I knew every nook of her bakery/house (and loved it). The characters were lovely while still being flawed (even when they did ugly things-- which wasn't often, but this is life-- you knew they weren't ugly people. They were so real!). I loved how masterfully she wrote the layers of each character, and that everyone had a journey in the book. The book did "jump" from character to character (smoothly, in my opinion), and while it wasn't disarming for me, I could see how it might be for someone else because she writes Ramona's section in the first person, present tense (SO hard to do) and Katie's in the third person, past. Then there are Sofia's entries, which are all written in her journal. But I liked how it set each section apart.

The love story was sweet and I really liked the book. I will definitely read anything else O'Neal writes. Worthwhile and poignant-- wonderful.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How to Bake a Perfect Life.

05/05/2016 marked as: read

Sonja I just picked this up this morning, and I cannot put it down. I am absolutely enthralled, and so glad you recommended it.

Kimberly Kincaid I know, right?! Barbara Samuel has such a lovely, beautiful voice about her. Her characters take my breath away time and again! Glad you're enjoying it :)

Sonja Okay, I can see your point about Ramona's siblings, and the busyness of the additional characters, though I suppose she could be setting those up for a later story, but if the Lost Recipe For Happiness is better, then I cannot wait to read it!

I loved this book! She especially captured Katie so poignantly. Unfortunately, I think Lacey was a pretty accurate portrayal as well. It made me think of kids I have known, students I have had, and some of the relationships I have seen...

message 4: by Ann (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ann Mulholland i really liked this book. i kinda liked how it went from character to character. well done