Michelle's Reviews > Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Feb 21, 2011

So far this book is amazing. I cannot even begin to imagine the grit, courage, and sheer determination that pulled Louie Zamperini and his friend Russell Phillips through 47 days on a raft and sheer h*ll in a Japanese POW camp. Halfway through and will revise my review when I'm finished.

I must be in serious need of personal courage and grit in my own life, because the next book I plan to read is "Between a Rock and a Hard Place," the story about Aron Ralston. The movie "127 Hours" is based on his true story. Aron is a mountain climber and adventurer who left for a hike without telling anyone where he was going--big mistake. However, he saves his own life by a sheer act of personal grit which many could never face. I have not read this book yet, but some reviewers panned it because of his initial arrogance. I can't think of too many 26-year-olds who don't have a touch of arrogance or the idea that they have the world by the tail.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this as my next read. These two books may help give me the grit that I need to get through this next grueling year of school that I'm facing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unbroken.