Lindsay's Reviews > Rilla of Ingleside

Rilla of Ingleside by L.M. Montgomery

Feb 21, 2011

bookshelves: childhood-favorites
Read in July, 1985

This is the book that finally severed my relationship with Kevin Sullivan. When Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story premiered in the early 2000s, I was shocked to discover that Anne and Gilbert were suddenly time warped to WWI.

That's wrong. On so many levels.

WWI wasn't Anne's war, it was Rilla's, and Ken's, and Walter's, and that damn dog who turns me into a gushy mess every freaking time I read the last chapter. Rilla -- the youngest child of Anne and Gilbert -- is fifteen (see what I mean about the time warp??) and desperately in love with the boy next door. When the world around her crashes and she's forced to grow up quickly, her journey is just as enjoyable as her mother's was in the first three books. The difference is, this is a mature kind of love. Though I devoured the entire series as a seven year old, Rilla of Ingleside is the one that I've worn through with repeated readings as an adult. Simply put, it's perfection.

The fact that Kevin Sullivan clearly ignored the fact that this book was written at all is frustrating and, to a reader who considers this book one of the reasons she became a romance writer, downright cruel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rilla of Ingleside.

02/03/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

i was also traumatized that they wouldn't let Anne just be who she was by this time in the novel - a mother - and let the spotlight shine on the new star of the show - her daughter Rilla. the time warp making them an older couple bugs me too; her sons generation were in the war.

Lindsay forget about me I love you wrote: "i was also traumatized that they wouldn't let Anne just be who she was by this time in the novel - a mother - and let the spotlight shine on the new star of the show - her daughter Rilla. the time ..."

Anne of Ingelside actually covers Anne and Gilbert as parents. I believe, in fact, that it was
written later in response to the same concerned you raised that there really wasn't anything that showed Anne as a mum.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

a movie about Anne as a mum would be neat.

message 4: by C. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who hated the last Anne movie!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

well I didn't say I hated it, but I was disappointed :(

Michaela I think I read Sullivan didn't have permission to use the Montgomery narratives but, because he wanted to keep making Anne films he wrote his own. The prequel he came up with starting Barbra Hershey was WORSE than the "Continuing Story" believe it or not! And yes, totally agree that Rilla of Ingleside was a glorious book.

Michaela Hahaha! Ok Melody, I'm happy to agree that film never, ever, ever happened. :D

message 8: by H. (new) - rated it 5 stars

H. Kevin Sullivan wrote himself into a corner in the last movie because he moved the time frame up approximately 40 years in the first two movies. The first book is set in the 1870's while the movie is obvious set in the mid Edwardian age (early 1900's). So in changing the time frame, Kevin Sullivan unwittingly put the next installment of his Anne trilogy in the WW1 setting.

Also the first and second movie had major plot diversions as well. Gilbert only had, maybe, five lines of dialogue in the first book, but in the movie he was a principle character. And the second movie was a combination of the second, third, and the fourth book with the uncanny addition of Morgan Harris to hide the deletion of of Anne's romantic ideal, Roy Gardinder.

Really one has to separate the movies from the books, even if we want to keep Megan Follows and Jonathan Crombie as Anne and Gilbert in our heads, I like both sets, just so long as I keep the fact that they are two separate sets of stories in mind. Cause really, they're making a new Anne movie anyway, and the ones we have do a pretty good job depicting the characters already.

message 9: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Wood The third movie, "The Continuing Story was like a bad spy novel. Literally the only things I liked about it was the wedding and when they reunited near the end. This movie even contradicted certain episodes of the Avonlea TV series which had stated they were already married with children and living in another town.

message 10: by L. (new)

L. Legault So many people I know liked Sullivan's Anne movies that I learned to shut my mouth about not liking them much. They had wonderful actors and acting, which helped to disguise the flaws in the scripts. The first one was certainly the best but even it bothered me a little.

message 11: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Wood Well I like the the first one and the second one. Even though the second one is kind of a mish-mash of 3 different Anne books. And I literally envision the characters from the movies when I read the books. But I just can't abide the third movie because it strayed completely from the books IMO.

message 12: by L. (new)

L. Legault When I read the first few Anne books I was under ten years old and it was the early 1970s, long before the movies came out. In fact, some of them were out of print and could only be found in old hardbacks from the 1930s or 40s, with old-fashioned portraits of their heroines on them. It was those pictures that formed my vision of what they looked like. One reason I found the movies and later editions of the books frustrating was because they got the dates so wrong, putting Anne and her contemporaries into Edwardian clothes, as one other reader here points out.

message 13: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Wood I read the first Anne book in the seventies when I was in elementary school. It was from the school library. It was probably one of the older hardbacks also. I didn't realize there were other ones until the eighties and we got a town library and it was after I had seen the 1985 movie.