Mel's Reviews > Year of Yes: How to Dance It Out, Stand In the Sun and Be Your Own Person

Year of Yes by Shonda Rhimes

bookshelves: non-fiction, nook

I've not watched a single episode of any of her TV shows -- but I certainly loved her witty, uplifting memoir. A reminder to "say yes" to opportunities, but be willing to say no to people or things that will drag you down. I read portions of this book to my kids on a current road trip because I felt what she had written was important enough to hear them groan from the back seat.
It would be a great gift for graduating high school seniors. Especially females.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Year of Yes.

Quotes Mel Liked

Shonda Rhimes
“Badassery: 1. (noun) the practice of knowing one’s own accomplishments and gifts, accepting one’s own accomplishments and gifts and celebrating one’s own accomplishments and gifts; 2. (noun) the practice of living life with swagger : SWAGGER (noun or verb) a state of being that involves loving oneself, waking up “like this” and not giving a crap what anyone else thinks about you. Term first coined by William Shakespeare.”
Shonda Rhimes, Year of Yes: How to Dance It Out, Stand In the Sun and Be Your Own Person

January 4, 2016 – Shelved
May 22, 2019 –
page 22
May 22, 2019 –
page 49
15.76% "She is very funny. She and my daughter could be anxiety twins. It’s like reading an analysis."
May 24, 2019 –
page 93
May 25, 2019 –
page 133
42.77% "I love this book. I even read an entire section aloud the my kids while driving in the car."
page 193