Jim Jordan's Reviews > Tales of Two Cities: The Best and Worst of Times In Today's New York

Tales of Two Cities by John   Freeman

M 50x66

(23) This book is a collection of pieces on the duality that exists in early twenty-first century New York. For those considering living their dream and moving to the myth that is New York, this is a must-read. Having spent parts of eight summers there, I suppose I have that same dream too.

So many great pieces on housing and the character of the city and those who live there. None more poignant than that written by John's brother Tim. "I did not fully understand New York before I moved there, but now I feel like I do. New York is a tale of two cities–there is the Rich New York and the Poor New York–but it is the tale of the Rich New York that we most often see and hear about."

"Small Fates" by Teju Cole is amazing–showing us once again the power of the concise in his "fait divers." "Swimming in the East River, Whitestone found a message in a bottle from the State Hospital on Ward's Island. It read: "Some of us are sane."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tales of Two Cities.

Started Reading