Katie's Reviews > A Cook's Tour: Global Adventures in Extreme Cuisines

Feb 08, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: foodie, memoir, travel
Read in July, 2005

Allow me to begin by saying how much I adore Anthony Bourdain: I love his gritty sense of humor, I love his enthusiasm for food that's not "pretty," I love his desire to see, taste and do everything, I love that he slams Food Network over and over again despite the fact that they funded the trips on which this book was based, I love that he drops F-bombs like it's his job.

Unfortunately, all of these don't come together to create a book I love-love-loved.

Kitchen Confidential in particular is far superior, in my humble/esteemed (depends on whom you ask) opinion, and Cook's Tour was a little disappointing comparatively. It's still a good read, but it feels like Tony has been pared down, and I miss the insider's peek that KC permitted. Memorable bits do stand out thanks to Tony's willingness to try anything, but overall the book has settled into the part of my brain where the title registers on the "Oh yeah, that book, that was pretty good" scale but my neurons can't fire off anymore information than that. Spilling from Bourdain's mind, this book is just not quite as memorable as it could have been, but Bourdain fans, global adventurers, and crazy foodies still ought to read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Cook's Tour.