Lindsay's Reviews > Entangled

Entangled by Amy Rose Capetta

it was ok

In a universe where humans are reviled because of their inability to cope with extended space travel, a human girl discovers that she might be the answer to humanity's problems, but first she needs to save the boy.

Cade grows up without memory of her early life on a planet that she hates and where she can barely make a living. That all changes when she's given some insight into her origins and she sets off to rescue Xan, her quantum entangled partner. In the process she joins up with a ship, a living ship. Full of strange alien life forms. Help me. Listen, please ... oops, no that's Farscape.

That is where this is going though. It's an attempt at a YA literary version of Farscape or Firefly, which is admirable as both of those are great, and so are The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet and Fortune's Pawn which do exactly the same thing much, much better.

The ideas are more or less ok (although the science is execrable*), but the execution is just really lacking. I can clearly see an outline of a book here, but a lot of the beats don't follow. For instance, there's a character that Cade meets early on who is initially hostile, then feels sympathetic for Cade, then is sort of friendly, then is extremely hostile, then friendly again and then refers her and Cade's relationship as "best friends" all in a period of no more than a few days. I get where the transitions in these emotions are meant to happen in the book, but they're just not actually on the page and the plot just marches on as if they'd happened.

* The science. The science. Quantum entanglement does not work like this. Black holes do not work like this. We're pretty sure dark energy doesn't work like this (although I'll give her a pass, we don't know very much about it). We're very sure that the mechanism for quantum entanglement has nothing to do with dark energy. Asteroids don't work like that. We're pretty sure humans don't work like this.

Seriously, I have seen better science in science fiction romance books. (And they frequently postulate unassisted human/alien fertility!)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Entangled.

January 4, 2016 – Shelved