Carissa's Reviews > The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker

The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker by Leanna Renee Hieber

Feb 20, 2011

liked it

I love the title of this book. I wish I could say the same thing for the book itself. I really enjoyed the premise and the storyline. It felt unique and original. I was glued to the story for the entire time that I read it. I didn't love the characters but I didn't dislike them either. My main annoyance was the romantic element. It was just too over-the-top for me. It went into the bounds of melodrama. I'm sure that if I read some of the lines out loud to my husband that we would have been laughing. At one point, the strong, brooding hero is reduced to uncontrollable weeping and the sweet, naive heroine is literally dying from heartbreak. As I said, just a little too much for me. Although there was no sex in the book, it was definitely a PG-13 romance.

It was too bad that the second half of the book focused so heavily on the romance because I truly enjoyed the other aspects and characters of the story. I loved the dynamics of the group and how they each had their own unique and important job to fulfill. I enjoyed reading about 19th century England and all of the parts with the ghosts. I might read the second book if it focuses on different characters. I'm done with the hero and heroine of this book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker.

Isabel Hurtado I completely agree with you. I really enjoyed the mythology in the book and I would have loved to read a sequel dedicated to the dark forces and The Guard. Unfortunately there will be no sequel. I loved the power's of each member of the Guard, I found it refreshing to see another kind of supernatural heroes.