Ashley's Reviews > The Name of the Star

The Name of the Star by Maureen Johnson

Feb 20, 2011

bookshelves: 2012, young-adult-fantasy
Read from January 03 to March 15, 2012 , read count: 1

This was one of the few books I was truly excited about last year. And I did really enjoy it.

Rory is a Louisiana girl who has found herself in a London boarding school, completely displaced from the world she knows. She finds herself in London while someone is copying Jack the Ripper, almost catering to the Ripper fanatics, planning it out to the tee. But no one seems to be able to catch the suspect on video. Rory dismays that she can see people that others cannot.

So it's a ghost story, set in London, at a boarding school, with a psychopathic ghost for a killer. The story's intriguing, and the characters are pretty well fleshed out. Maureen Johnson's writing has a wonderful humor about it. But the book suffers from a bit from being a first book. It's not a complete story, so I felt little satisfaction when I reached the end. Johnson leaves the book to go in a completely different direction, which is great and I don't expect the second book to be a rehashing of ideas (like Catching Fire is to The Hunger Games), but the resolution wasn't enough for me. One problem gone, two groups of friends/colleagues left hanging, and an entirely new problem to deal with. It's less cliffhanger and more, "Was that it?"

That said, I did enjoy the book. The writing gave a fun, easy read. I've always been a sucker for boarding school stories, and what makes this fun is seeing a British boarding school that uses all the same terms as Hogwarts, and forcing a poor girl from the bayou to find a place among it. For that alone I would recommend the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Star.

01/03/2012 page 52