Helia's Reviews > Quicksilver

Quicksilver by R.J. Anderson

Jan 04, 2016

bookshelves: science-fiction, diverse-reads, age-young-adult

Find my review on Astronomical Books.

Quicksilver was not one of my most anticipated sequels. Despite how much I enjoyed Ultraviolet, I didn't know if there would be much more story to tell. Thankfully I was very wrong.

Tori has left everything from her old life behind: her name, her friends, her popularity - everything that could stop her from ever having a normal life. But the one thing she cannot escape is her DNA, and there are people on this earth and others that will stop at nothing to get their hands on it. With the help of new friends and old ones, Tori needs to stop her hunters before her life disintegrates from before her eyes.

What makes Quicksilver so unique as a sequel is that it is perfect as a standalone. The voices in the two books couldn't be more different, and yet they are still so clearly linked through an overlap in characters and story.

The reason I Quicksilver enough to give it a star higher than Ultraviolet is because I connected with Tori's voice so much more than Alison's. She's witty, sarcastic and strong willed, and although I liked Alison just as much because she was none of these things, I think Tori was able to carry the story better. Plus she knew how to put people in their place which was very funny to read.

Anderson addresses so many issues in this book with such elegance without subtracting from the plot in the slightest. I love this series and would read it again in a heartbeat, and I would advise everyone else to do the same.

Read my review for Ultraviolet, book 1 in the Ultraviolet series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Quicksilver.

January 4, 2016 – Shelved
January 4, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
March 1, 2016 – Started Reading
page 116
30.93% "This is already so much better than Ultraviolet!"
page 195
52.0% "Tori's sass is everything."
page 251
March 2, 2016 –
page 298
79.47% "WHAT!? NO!"
March 2, 2016 –
page 384
100% "I now have a new OTP and a new favorite character. Review to come!"
March 2, 2016 – Shelved as: science-fiction