Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies's Reviews > The Great Hunt

The Great Hunt by Wendy Higgins

did not like it

In his eyes lived something deep, dark, and untold. Something that frightened her.

But it didn’t scare her enough to make her want to stay away from him. Not nearly enough.
Oh god. I wouldn't recommend this book to the girl who ratted me out to my crush in 9th grade.

If you love love, and if you think being the helpless damsel in distress is THE GREATEST THING EVAR!!!11ONE!, then you may enjoy this book. Me? Not so much. Oh, and the "princess willing to risk all to save her people" thing in the blurb? I mean, if you consider giving up whom you thought was your One Twoo Wuv to marry your Real One Twoo Wuv a sacrifice then sure, I guess.

What can I say? This book was terrible. It's an old-fashioned teenaged girl's wet dream of the purest sort, and clichéd as all hell. Beautiful princess falls into insta-love with disrespectful asshole.
Still holding her hand, he dropped his gaze down to the swell of fabric at her chest, and kept it there too long, his hand tightening and seeming even hotter around hers.
Who is turned into a prince charming by her love. Not even the earliest Disney movies were this bad. If you want feminism and strength, you will not find it here.

This is a story about a fairy tale kingdom ruled by a kind king and his loving family, under the shadow of a Beast that has ravaged the countryside and killed numerous people. The kingdom is broke, unable to fund further efforts to kill the Beast. As a last resort, the king offers the hand of his beautiful eldest daughter, Princess Aerity (good lord, even the name makes me want to throw up in my mouth) to anyone who can kill the beast.

If you're hoping that the princess will rise to the occasion and kill the beast herself, you'd be wrong. She spends the entire fucking book dressing up, practicing aerial silks (I'm not fucking kidding), checking out hot, conveniently half-dressed guys and that's pretty much it.
The hunter looked down at his abdomen and then back up at the princess. He rubbed a hand down his stomach. “I’m not sure where my tunic’s gone . . . it was bloodied.”
Aerity waved off his comment with a shaking hand and said, “It’s all right.” As if she were used to being in the presence of half-naked, attractive men.
Do not look at his chest . . . or his stomach. . . .
Aerity gets to have her ego stroked and lives in the safety of her castle while a host of extremely hot men vie for her hands under the guise of killing the Beast. She meets many handsome, distinguished, gentlemanly men...
He wore a leather kilt to his knees, fur-lined leather boots, and a sleeveless tunic with a burnished breastplate over it.

His arms . . . seas almighty. His arms were all muscle, bulging without even flexing. Same with his calves. And his face was chiseled as in the coldlands tales of old.
While falling for the rude commoner asshole.
Given all of that, the princess was surprised she did not feel the same heat course through her that she’d felt for the rude commoner moments before.
#predictable

And as assholish and rude and MACHO as the main love interest, Paxton is, he seems to have...awfully emotional and flowery thoughts.
Paxton spared his last look for Princess Aerity. Even from afar she seemed to be looking right at him. She brought her slender fingertips to her lips and left them there, as if her hand could keep her emotions from escaping.
*rolls eyes*

Now, the myriad of things wrong in the book.

First, victim-blaming.
Paxton knew his behavior had been inappropriate, but it was her own fault.
Oh, it's her fault that he was attracted, was it? It was HER FAULT that he had to act like an asshole to her, is it? Fuck you. Seriously, fuck you.

Paxton is an douchenozzle. He is verbally abusive and mentally manipulative. Aerity doesn't seem to care. In fact, the worse Paxton treats her, the more Aerity seems to fall for him.
“Is it so hard to believe I’d prefer to be alone? I’m certain every eligible man in the kingdom would fall over his boot strings for a chance to ride behind your royal arse, but I am not one of them.”
Well, that settled it, the swine. Now Aerity would walk at his side for the simple pleasure of not giving him what he wanted. If he thought he could frighten her away with his words and intimidate her, he was wrong.
It's a terrible message to send to young women.

The book slut-shames.
He’s simply not the marrying type. The women he’s been known to fraternize with are . . . well . . .” She looked back and forth between the royal girls’ waiting faces. “Not exactly innocents."
Save yourself the headache and frustration.

Read this review and more @ The Book Eaters

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Hunt.

January 4, 2016 – Shelved
January 4, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
March 9, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)

message 1: by Savannah (new)

Savannah (The Book Prophet) This seems a lot like Disney's Brave (a suckier, pathetic one)

message 2: by em_is_reading (new)

em_is_reading I LOVED BRAVE HOW COULD YOU EVEN COMPARE THE TWO? (I see what you're saying, though).

message 3: by em_is_reading (new)

em_is_reading ALSO THE GREAT THING ABOUT MERIDA IS SHE DIDN'T NEED A MAN.

message 4: by Corky (new)

Corky Cobon One less book I have to worry about wasting time on.....Thank you!

message 5: by Kay Dee (new)

Kay Dee EmkayReads wrote: "ALSO THE GREAT THING ABOUT MERIDA IS SHE DIDN'T NEED A MAN."

hmm i couldn't get with Brave cuz she totally disrespected her mom and turned her into a BEAR!!!!! if she apologized for her rudeness and turning her into a BEAR!!!!, i missed it.

message 6: by Kay Dee (new)

Kay Dee hey do like lots of dudes die trying to kill the beast or do they all try together?

Jilly Great review, Khahn! This book sucked big time! The thing about her practicing her aerial silks had to be the lamest thing ever. WTF was the author thinking by having that be her great skill? But, we must remember that this is the same author who wrote the love story were there were sexy leprechauns.

message 8: by Susana (new)

Susana And, that's one less book to read! o_O

Jess (freaks over books) Ugh, soooo disappointed to read this, I LOVE fairy-tale retellings that are based on some of the less well-known stories. Taking this off my to-read shelf, I cannot stand gushy, weak plots and characters.

Gunjan (NerdyBirdie) Great review, Khanh! I’m beginning to lose my faith in fairytale retellings these days…

message 11: by K.P. (new)

K.P. Merriweather damn it -_- I was all set to read this hoping it'd be good. thanks again for taking the bullet for us khahn. you're so strong! (゚∀゚ )

message 12: by Alice (new)

Alice Yew NerdyBirdie- If you like fairytale retellings try reading K.M Shea The Snow Queen series (guarantee no damsel in distress, insta love and no annoying love triangle )

message 13: by Clare (new)

Clare Costigan Gah. I just love your reviews. Thanks for this one.

message 14: by Ain (new)

Ain I think Wendy Higgins has an obsession with pure, puke-inducing innocent type female MC with a side dish of womanizer male MC. From the blurbs I actually thought the princess would go and try to kill the Beast herself, which will be so mighty interesting, But I guess I'm just gonna skip this book if that isn't the case. Meh

Joanna (joreadsalot) Wow I was going to pick this book up and give it a chance but a wimpy woman as a main character is a complete turn off. And how the hell does aerial silks have anything to do with anything in this book. Like a real skill like sword fighting or archery would have been better , right? But j guess that would have put her in the slightly bad ass category and we can't have that it would seem. Boo.

message 16: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer I just saw this book somewhere yesterday and I was like ohhh pretty cover hahaha. Those pretty covers man... it is on my TBR list but heck I have so many books I am trying to get through right now it will be awhile before i get to this one. I will get to it eventually though lol

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Just took it off my to-read list. Your reviews save me so much time!

message 18: by Ameaka (new)

Ameaka Ehww! is all I can say.

JAC, Loner, Loser and Complicated Mess This is so disappointing. The description sounded so good but after reading your review I think I'll save myself the rage headache. I love fairytale fantasy but it seems like you have to wade through a lot of crap to find one worth reading anymore. By the way I wanted to thank you for introducing me to the Charley Davidson series. It's so good!

message 20: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra I love Wendy Higgins, but this book was meeeh. DNFed.

message 21: by Sakina (new)

Sakina Thanks you just saved my time on what seems to be a terrible book!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin I'm sure glad I didn't get this book, it's not getting a lot of good reviews.

message 23: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Darn! I was looking thru new releases, and it seems like you disliked all of them! I trust your opinion tho

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Ugh! Sounds horrible. Thanks for saving me from wasting my time on this

message 25: by Ana (new) - added it

Ana Grace I enjoyed it. But I get your point. It seems you hate lots of fantasy books...

message 26: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Lmao! God I love your reviews. Always make me chuckle to myself. Out loud. At work. I've really got to stop doing that. =) Also, sounds like the guys in this book are on the roids. No natty guy would be 'bulging' without flexing.