Alexa's Reviews > The Things That Keep Us Here

The Things That Keep Us Here by Carla Buckley

Feb 20, 2011

bookshelves: goodreads-2011-total-books-read-cha
Read from February 20 to 23, 2011

Probably the most disturbing book I've read in a very long time. It kept me up two nights in a row, and I finally had to take a break and read something really fluffy as a palate-cleanser - which was tough because I couldn't put it down. I finally had to for my own sanity. It sparked a very nihilistic conversation with my husband the atheist scientist who basically said, well the earth is going to blow up some time anyway (not in a End of Days kind of way, I should add). Just a depressing sciencey way. I found myself thinking a LOT about what I would do and how my family would survive in the event of an avian flu pandemic. And I thought about laying in more canned goods, even if my husband already complains that we have too many now. How often does a novel change the way you think and the things you do? I wavered between giving it four or five stars, but I opted for four because ultimately it was just TOO disturbing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Things That Keep Us Here.